Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

LONG LINES

I've been yelling out for so long "LONG LINES" to all the students in my classes. The reason is so that the lines can complete themselves out! There's something that happens when you let the lines continue and go as long as they can. All to often I catch students stopping the line and cutting short its desired destination to the land of balance and rhythm. Let the lines be long and try to lay in their paths from top to bottom. Let them live!!!

This wonderful model is "Karole Foreman"




7 comments:

Adorably Dead said...

Do you mean to try and draw it in one continous line? I'm not sure I understand. And your sketches are awesome.

David Pimentel said...

Hey adorably,
so what i mean is NOT to draw in one continuous line, yet that is a great technique when you want to break out of a funk. BUT what i meant was to draw out every line as long as it needs to be. If its a leg line then let it be drawn from hip to ground, if it's a neck line let it be from the top to the base and so on.

thanks for the compliments as well. Draw on!!!

myung said...

these are great as always!

Rafi said...

thank you for the insight. I always enjoy seeing your sketches, and it's great to get some drawing tips as well. I guess the idea behind long lines is being decisive and making a definite statement with each strike. I find that thinking that way always leads me to better and more interesting results.

M. Hassan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adorably Dead said...

Ah, I get what you mean now, thank you for clarifying ^_^. I shall have to try this next time I draw.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely keeping this in mind when developing my sketchbook for my portfolio :)