Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Back at Disney's


This week I'm officially back at the Walt Disney Animation Studios.  I couldn't be more happy to join such amazing and talented artists who are all so happy and eager to make great films.

It's been a while since being at the studio and there are many new faces along with many old ones who I had so much pleasure to see again.  The buildning has undergone many cosmetic changes within but walking through on a tour today brought out dream like memories of experiances long ago.  Some say that walls have memories - today I felt them.

I can remember moments in the corridors of every corner I walked into.  I remembered old production pods of films past and offices that I spent many days in.  Some corners and offices aren't even there any longer as the studio is still undergoing it's metamorphisis.

There was one particular room I went into today that was the most important room of the day for me.

The Art Studio.

The Life Drawing room that Walt Stanchfield held his class in.  The very room where he walked and taught many many artists including me.

As Stephanie (our guide) walked all of us "newbies" into the room, I passed bye them quietly.  No one knew what I was feeling, no one knew why I was whistfully walking into the room and taking in a deep breathe of reminiscence.

I was pleased to see all the drawing horses that he walked around and the cabinets that held all the supplies we used.  The smell of the air was exactly the same as when Walt stood over our sketches with that keane eye.

I felt Walt in the room, I felt his spirit.  As if he was saying with a wink, "Welcome back!"

We all walked out as I held a lump in my throat, I smiled and winked back saying "thanks Walt."

When all of you out there work with students and mentees - remember that your words and teachings can stay with people forever.  The lessons that enlighten us and help us grow are those lessons that live in on as artist's use them to build careers and eventually pass them on.

Walt left such an impression on me and my life I can't thank him enough.  Hopefully being back in the halls where he stood, he'll know how much gratitude I have for all he did for me and so many others.


12 comments:

Katy Hargrove said...

Lovely post Dave.

winderly said...

I would like to feel that way someday too.:)

Stephanie J. Stine said...

Thank you for this beautiful post! If I'm ever in the position that I can teach or mentor people, I will be sure to keep Walt Stanchfield's memory in mind--even though I have never met him, I have read the books with his lectures, and they have also influenced my art greatly!

I know you'll have a great impact at Disney, and I'm looking forward to the work you'll be doing there!

Josh said...

I am actually just going through Drawn to Life right now, and I'm loving how the character of Walt Stanchfield shines through in his lecture notes. From everything I've read, he seems like a great, solid guy, not to mention an excellent teacher. I wish I could've known him. Your post is really lovely, and it makes me happy to see how much he did mean to those who were able to be under his mentorship. Best of luck back at Disney!

Edwin said...

I loved reading this post. I'm so grateful that we could buy his Drawn to Life books. Though I would still like to hear his voice and see him teaching. There must be someone that must have filmed him...

Shane Smith said...

Just ordered 'Drawn to life' based on this post alone. Mr Stanchfield must have been quite the teacher to have had this much of an impact.

One comment though, I'm assuming it's an unintentional typo, but "Some say that walls have mamories - today I felt them" almost made me laugh out loud with it's unintentional inuendo!

Dave Pimentel said...

Hahaha, Thanks Shane. it's fixed.

thanks everyone.

Bobby Pontillas said...

Awesome! Welcome to Disney Dave! I just watched a great Walt lecture on dpix yesterday. He had such an inspiring, youthful energy.

Bobby Pontillas said...

Awesome! Welcome to Disney Dave! I just watched a great Walt lecture on dpix yesterday. He had such an inspiring, youthful energy.

Brant Moon said...

Congrats on the new-old stomping grounds!

Ron said...

Dave!!! Ok, how about the sky-diving this time? All the best to you and yours, buddy. Great caricatures, by the way!

Aliki said...

Dave I stumbled upon your blog, and this post..first of all, beautiful drawings, and second of all, I was in the building recently, walking the halls, and had even gone to the drawing studio, and had a very similar experience to yours...the halls all had stories and memories...the drawing room was the clencher for me....I couldn't stop thinking of Walt and too had a lump in my throat. I feel so lucky to have studied with him..good for you for passing on his legacy through your teaching, and your work.